Olympic Gold Medalist and philanthropist Muhammad Ali was considered the greatest boxer of all time
“Muhammad Ali was the grandson of a slave. Let that sit for a moment,” wrote Entrepreneur and Activist, Michael Skolnick on Twitter this morning.
According to reports, Muhammad Ali passed away due to respiratory complications at 74, on June 3 in Phoenix, Arizona. Known as the “greatest heavyweight boxing champ of all time,” Muhammad Ali was an activist, a storyteller, and a devout man of faith. A symbol of Black excellence and an American cultural icon, we bid farewell to one of “the greatest” with several Muhammad Ali quotes that give us a glimpse into the mind of a legend.
- Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee.
- The word ‘Islam’ means ‘peace.’ The word ‘Muslim’ means ‘one who surrenders to God.’ But the press makes us seem like haters.
- I done wrestled with an alligator, I done tussled with a whale; handcuffed lightning, thrown thunder in jail; only last week, I murdered a rock, injured a stone, hospitalized a brick; I’m so mean I make medicine sick.
- If they can make penicillin out of moldy bread, they can sure make something out of you.
- Cassius Clay is a name that white people gave to my slave master. Now that I am free, that I don’t belong anymore to anyone, that I’m not a slave anymore, I gave back their white name, and I chose a beautiful African one.
- I’m the greatest thing that ever lived! I’m the king of the world! I’m a bad man. I’m the prettiest thing that ever lived.
- When you can whip any man in the world, you never know peace.
- It isn’t the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it’s the pebble in your shoe.
- At home I am a nice guy: but I don’t want the world to know. Humble people, I’ve found, don’t get very far.
- It’s the repetition of affirmations that leads to belief. And once that belief becomes a deep conviction, things begin to happen.
What’s your most memorable Ali quote?