Did you know that the 68th Mayor of Little Rock, Arkansas is a member of Delta Sigma Theta? Lottie Shackelford pledged the Gamma Gamma Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
Lottie Shackelford is an African American politician who became the first woman to become Mayor in Little Rock, Arkansas. She received a Bachelor of Arts degree in Business Administration from Philander Smith College. Shackelford has supported the Democratic Party for years at both the local and national levels. In 1998 she served as Co-Chair of the Democratic National Convention.
Shackelford is well respected in the community and she has received numerous honors and awards for her service.
- Registry of Outstanding Men and Women, Esquire Magazine
- Woman of the Year, Arkansas Democrat newspaper
- 1993: Arkansas Black Hall of Fame inductee
- 1998: Mary Church Terrell Award, Delta Sigma Theta
- 2016: Arkansas Women’s Hall of Fame inductee
Little Rock’s First Female Mayor
Share this article with your network and let them know about this interesting fact about Delta Sigma Theta.