He is a close friend of the Royal family and shared a close relationship with the late Princess Diana.

And Sir Elton John is said to have cancelled two gigs to ensure that he is free to attend the royal wedding of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle in May, reports The Sun.

The 70-year-old singing icon has reportedly pulled the plug on two Las Vegas concerts of his Million Dollar Piano residency at Caesars Palace on May 18 and 19 so that he can attend or even perform at the glittering nuptials on May 19 – should he be invited.

It's no Sacrifice! Sir Elton John is said to have cancelled two gigs to ensure that he is free to attend the royal wedding of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle in May, reports The Sun 

It’s no Sacrifice! Sir Elton John is said to have cancelled two gigs to ensure that he is free to attend the royal wedding of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle in May, reports The Sun 

Happy couple: Prince Harry and Meghan Markle will wed on May 19 at Windsor Castle 

Happy couple: Prince Harry and Meghan Markle will wed on May 19 at Windsor Castle 

Happy couple: Prince Harry and Meghan Markle will wed on May 19 at Windsor Castle 

When asked last month about his plans for the wedding, due to be held in St George’s Chapel at Windsor Castle, he told the website ‘I don’t know. I haven’t even been — no one’s been asked.

‘I’m playing in Vegas so I don’t know what’s going to happen.

‘It will be nice because I love him very dearly. ‘ 

MailOnline has contacted Elton’s representatives for comment. 

Elton was a close friend of Harry’s mother, the late Princess Diana who died in a car crash in 1997.

Showman: The 70-year-old singing icon has reportedly pulled the plug on two Las Vegas concerts of his Million Dollar Piano residency so that he can attend or even perform at the nuptials, should he be invited

Showman: The 70-year-old singing icon has reportedly pulled the plug on two Las Vegas concerts of his Million Dollar Piano residency so that he can attend or even perform at the nuptials, should he be invited

Showman: The 70-year-old singing icon has reportedly pulled the plug on two Las Vegas concerts of his Million Dollar Piano residency so that he can attend or even perform at the nuptials, should he be invited

ALSO READ:  This Abs Workout Is a Deceptively Hard Challenge — Paloff Press

He was a guest at Prince William and Kate Middleton’s wedding at Westminster Abbey in 2011.

The Tiny Dancer hitmaker famously performed his song Candle In The Wind at Diana’s funeral in 1997 at Westminster Abbey.  

The Sacrifice singer recently announced his epic Farewell Yellow Brick Road world tour to mark his retirement from the road.

The musical icon will spend three years saying goodbye to fans as he plays more than 300 shows across five continents.

Sir Elton, who promised to ‘go out with a bang’, said he’s quitting touring so he can ‘dedicate more time’ to his two sons – Elijah, five and Zachary, seven – with husband David Furnish.

Wedding guest: When asked last month about his plans for the wedding, due to be held in St George's Chapel at Windsor Castle, he told the website 'I don’t know. I haven’t even been — no one’s been asked. 'It will be nice because I love him very dearly. '

Wedding guest: When asked last month about his plans for the wedding, due to be held in St George's Chapel at Windsor Castle, he told the website 'I don’t know. I haven’t even been — no one’s been asked. 'It will be nice because I love him very dearly. '

Wedding guest: When asked last month about his plans for the wedding, due to be held in St George’s Chapel at Windsor Castle, he told the website ‘I don’t know. I haven’t even been — no one’s been asked. ‘It will be nice because I love him very dearly. ‘

Much missed: Elton was a close friend of Harry's mother, the late Princess Diana who died in a car crash in 1997 

Much missed: Elton was a close friend of Harry's mother, the late Princess Diana who died in a car crash in 1997 

Much missed: Elton was a close friend of Harry’s mother, the late Princess Diana who died in a car crash in 1997 

He announced the news at an immersive event at Gotham Hall in New York, where fans were able to revisit some of his career’s defining moments thanks to interactive goggles monogrammed with his initials.    

He will kick off the mammoth 300-date Farewell tour in the US in September 2018 before arriving in the UK and Europe in April 2019.

Announcing the decision, Sir Elton said his ‘priorities have changed’, adding that his two sons have changed his and David’s lives.

ALSO READ:  This Abs Workout Is a Deceptively Hard Challenge — Paloff Press

‘In 2015 we sat down with a school schedule and I thought I don’t want to miss too much of this… My life has changed, my priorities have changed and my priority now is my family,’ he said. 

Icon: He was a guest at Prince William and Kate Middleton's wedding at Westminster Abbey in 2011

Icon: He was a guest at Prince William and Kate Middleton's wedding at Westminster Abbey in 2011

Icon: He was a guest at Prince William and Kate Middleton’s wedding at Westminster Abbey in 2011

He added it was a chance ‘to say thank you to all my fans around he world and then to say goodbye. It doesn’t mean I’m not going to be creative any more.

‘I have had a good run. I don’t want to go out with a whimper, I want to go out with a bang,’ he added during the press conference in New York – which he opened with a performance of Tiny Dancer and I’m Still Standing.   

He also rejected claims it was down to health problems he had experienced in recent years. ‘Last year I picked up an infection and I was very ill and it knocked me sideways. But I still did 96 shows. Believe me – if you ever do 300 shows, you’re not in ill health,’ he said.

The tour starts in the US on September 8, 2018, reaching Europe in April 2019, Asia in November 2019, Australasia in December 2019 and into 2020, South America in March 2020, before returning to Europe and the UK late 2020 and finishing in North America in 2021.

Farewell: The Sacrifice singer recently announced his epic Farewell Yellow Brick Road world tour to mark his retirement from the road

Farewell: The Sacrifice singer recently announced his epic Farewell Yellow Brick Road world tour to mark his retirement from the road

Farewell: The Sacrifice singer recently announced his epic Farewell Yellow Brick Road world tour to mark his retirement from the road

‘Performing live fuels me and I’m ecstatic and humbled to continue to play to audiences across the globe,’ said Elton.

ALSO READ:  This Abs Workout Is a Deceptively Hard Challenge — Paloff Press

‘I plan to bring the passion and creativity that has entertained my fans for decades to my final tour. After the tour finishes, I’m very much looking forward to closing off that chapter of my life by saying farewell to life on the road.   

‘I need to dedicate more time to raising my children. It’s time to come off the road so I can fully embrace the next important chapter of my life.’ 

Legend: The star has spent 50 years at the top of the music industry and sold more than 300m records

Legend: The star has spent 50 years at the top of the music industry and sold more than 300m records

Legend: The star has spent 50 years at the top of the music industry and sold more than 300m records

 

 

 

 

 



Leave your vote

points

Total votes: 0

Upvotes: 0

Upvotes percentage: 0.000000%

Downvotes: 0

Downvotes percentage: 0.000000%

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here