Tupac Murder Trial: Week 1 Bombshells Revealed

- Advertisement -

Nearly 30 years after rap icon Tupac Shakur was killed, the long-awaited trial of Duane “Keffe D” Davis—the man accused of orchestrating the murder—is finally underway. Tupac Shakur‘s case has haunted hip-hop culture for three decades, and the courtroom has already delivered several jaw-dropping moments in just the first week.

Prosecutors allege Davis, a former Los Angeles gang leader, planned the drive-by shooting in retaliation after Tupac and his entourage beat Davis’ nephew, Orlando “Baby Lane” Anderson, at the MGM Grand hours earlier. Tupac Shakur was shot in a white Cadillac on September 7, 1996. Davis is charged with organizing the hit, not pulling the trigger. He pleaded not guilty.

Shooting Erupts Near Courthouse

The trial got an eerie dose of déjà vu Tuesday when gunfire was reported near the Las Vegas courthouse while proceedings were underway, according to PEOPLE.

The incident happened shortly after members of Tupac’s family left the courthouse during a lunch break. Police responded, but no victims or confirmed crime scene were found, and the trial continued. The circumstances surrounding the reported gunfire remain unclear.

Keffe D’s Own Words Played

One of the prosecution’s most powerful pieces of evidence is also one of its simplest: Davis talking.

Jurors heard portions of a 2008 interview in which Davis described being in the white Cadillac involved in the shooting and said he handed a gun to people in the back seat, according to Rolling Stone.

“He rolled down the window, popped ’em,” Davis said then of Pac’s alleged shooter. “If they drove on my side, I would have popped ’em, know what I’m saying. But they was on the other side.”

Prosecutors have also pointed to Davis’ 2019 memoir and other public interviews as evidence that he knew more about the killing than he now admits.

Keffe D’s Defense: ‘I’m a Liar’

Davis’ attorneys are essentially asking jurors to believe that the defendant’s most damaging statements should not be trusted.

His legal team called the prosecution’s version of events “fiction” and argued that Davis exaggerated his involvement for money and attention, KLAS reported. The defense has also attacked the investigation, pointing to missing evidence and questions about whether Davis’ claims were ever independently corroborated.

That creates the central battle of the trial: Is Keffe D finally telling the truth, or has he spent years telling increasingly dramatic stories?

Duane “Keffe D” Davis, 60, walks out after a court appearance in Las Vegas on October 19, 2023 for his arraignment on murder charges in the death of rapper Tupac Shakur. (Photo by John Locher / POOL / AFP via Getty Images)

Diddy Gets Mentioned

The trial has also revived one of hip-hop’s longest-running unconfirmed conspiracy theories: whether Sean “Diddy” Combs had anything to do with Tupac’s murder.

Davis has previously alleged that Combs offered money for a hit involving Tupac and Suge Knight, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Combs has repeatedly denied any involvement, has never been charged, and has not been accused of any wrongdoing by prosecutors in the case against Davis.

Jurors Witness Violence Preceding Tupac’s Death

Prosecutors have spent the opening days building their revenge narrative, including showing surveillance footage of Tupac and his entourage attacking Anderson at the MGM Grand.

After nearly three decades of rumors, documentaries, interviews and conspiracy theories, a jury is finally being asked to separate what people have said about Tupac’s murder from what prosecutors can actually prove.


★TR★

- Advertisement -

- Advertisement -

Related articles

Dwyane Wade’s Son Zaire Charged With Felony

Dwyane Wade's son Zaire charged with felony after domestic violence incident in Los Angeles. Details on the arrest and charges.

Diddy’s Twins Call Him Amazing Father – Jessie & D’Lila

Diddy's twins Jessie and D'Lila praise him as an amazing father who supports their fashion brand 12TWINTY1 and upcoming 777 Collection.

Black Family Withdraws $1 Million Endowment From UNC Wilmington

A prominent Black family in North Carolina withdraws $1M endowment from UNC Wilmington after refusing to alter scholarship mission to comply with new equality policy.

Lizzo’s New Album Bitch Underperforms Amid Industry Criticism and Legal Battle

Lizzo's new album 'Bitch' underperforms, as she blames changing industry and a legal battle for the struggling singles.

Mystikal Receives 20-Year Prison Sentence for Sexual Assault Conviction

Rapper Mystikal sentenced to 20 years in prison for brutal sexual assault. Victim describes the attack and judge imposes maximum sentence.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.